Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Big Oh-Two

(Posted early for the New Year)

So, I've now been at it on this sketchblog for two full years! Please, hold your applause until the end of the post. I just want to take a second to thank anyone and everyone who's dropped by to take a look or leave a comment. I hope you all stay tuned, I've got plenty of nerdy sketches left in me yet.

And on that note--I started this blog with an illustration of Skeletor, so here for my second bloggiversary, at last, is Skeletor's mortal enemy, the hero of Eternia, He-Man:

click above for larger view

My take on He-Man is primarily drawn from the cartoon version, but with a few minor creative liberties. I rendered the red elements on He-Man's baldric as Korodite crystals, and made the straps on the baldric a darker color. I gave him slightly longer, more unruly hair (with sideburns), instead of his original, inexplicable, pageboy hair cut. I wish I hadn't drawn the legs so hyper-elongated. But I am happy with how the colors came together.

Also posted on the He-Man.org fan-art forums. My post is here, the entire thread (including some of my previous sketches) is here.