Saturday, August 16, 2008

the spiderman story

A couple of weeks ago I bought a lovely plant to hang in the ceiling of my bathroom.

As I hung it up in the ceiling I noticed a funny-looking spider who obviously lived in the plant. I felt a bit sorry for the creature as I kind of took him out of his own environment, but didn't think much else of it.

But then a strange thing started to happen: everytime I ran a hot bath the spider came down on a thread of a spider web, hung above my head until I emptied the bath tub. Then he climbed up to the plant pot again, and soon this became quite a sweet routine when bath time occured.

Yesterday, as I was splashing away in the tub, the lovely spider came down on his thread as per ususal. But then, when I pulled the plug I noticed a black lump floating around in the water and soap suds! The spider! And he was lifeless!

I scooped him up. He moved a little and I realized he wasn't dead. I tried to dry him off by blowing on him, and then put him back in the plantpot before getting ready to go out for the evening.

When I got home last night I climbed up on my bath to see if the spider had moved. But there he was, all dried up and very, very dead on the exact spot as I left him.

It was kind of sad. It felt like we'd just gotten to know eachother.