Sunday, June 22, 2008

neighbours - everybody need good neighbours

I have the most wonderful neighbours. Today, on my way to work, my mobile phone rang, and it was Monica, my next door neighbour.

Monica is a retired widow who lives with her dog Pyttan. I love them both to bits, and despite the age gap we hang out together sometimes. Monica had problems with her internet - and I promised I'd pop around after I'd finished work.

I was greeted by Pyttan as I opened Monicas front door. Pyttan knows I'm a sucker for animals and so she always jumps up and down until I pick her up and let her sit on my lap for the entire duration of my stays. I picked Pyttan up and went into Monicas study. With Pyttan in my lap I tried to fix Monicas internet (Pyttan happily licking my hands and face meanwhile), and Monica dissapeared into the kitchen to get something.

A few seconds later she turned up with a couple of glasses of chilled white wine. Usually I don't like white wine, but this was perfect. Cool, a tad sweet and such a treat after a long day at work!

Within half an hour her internet was fixed. Still, somehow, I've only just got home. It's now gone midnight, because I stayed talking and drinking wine with Monica for 3 hours.

Next weekend we're going for a pizza and a glass of wine. Despite her being 40 years older than me. How blissed am I to have neighbours like that?!