Sunday, June 1, 2008

Glorious sun

The sun has been shining all day and reached temperatures close to 30 degrees Celsius. I woke up at my friend’s house this morning with a stinking hangover, went out into his garden (where he was already lying on a blanket) and spread myself out on the lawn to catch the early rays of sunshine. It’s amazing how a nice summer’s day can cure the worst of beer-inflicted headaches!

Back in my little flat I quickly got into my shorts, grabbed the newspaper and ventured to the park where I enjoyed a few more hours of sunshine. Had an ice cream after my salad. Flicked through the paper in between dozing off or watching the world go by.

Tomorrow is Monday and it’s supposed to be even warmer. I have the day off and will do pretty much the same as today (minus the hangover, of course!). I am the ultimate sun junkie. I don’t function indoors when the sun is out – all I can think of is to be out in the sunshine and enjoy the heat. Enjoy the smells, the smiles on peoples faces and the luxury of not having to wear boots or shoes. I love it all.

I know the rays are bad for you. I know about the risks of cancer, aging skin and pigmentation spots. I know the grass might be full of tics who can give you leathal infections. I know ice cream makes me fat.

But do you know what? I don’t care. I don’t care one little bit. I like it and I will continue to enjoy it.