Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bats and bullshit!

There are certain things I really can’t stand.

For starters, I hate it when people gives you “advice” you haven’t asked for.

For example I bought a bike the other week. I’ve checked it out for a couple of months, read up about it etc. I was well stoked with my choice. Then this guy at work had to tell me it was a bad bike I’d bought and started telling me about what I should buy instead.

Now, why would anyone do that? Why take away my happiness about my new, lovely bike by telling me it’s a piece of crap? IF I wanted his advice surely I’d asked for it BEFORE I bought the damn thing?

Another thing that drives me mad is when people question things you said. Tonight, a friend’s friend managed to question every single word I said – even though we’d never met before and just sat around a bar with mutual friends having a beer.

I told the group about how amazing I found those huge bats were in Australia. “A bit of an exaggeration” she said straight away. “They’re not big”. I said they were fucking huge.

But oh no. She had lived in Australia and knew there was no such thing as a huge bat… I said they were at least bigger than I am tall. She laughed and called me a liar. (I googled it as soon as I got home. Guess what?! They are called Flying Foxes and are bigger than I am tall, surprise surprise.)

Then we got in to crocs and alligators. I’ve never really understood the difference between the two species, but told the group about the incident with a woman being killed by one or the other close to where I lived in Australia. It is quite an amazing story – the woman thought she could communicate with the creatures and simply jumped in to show her husband how she talked with them, and got eaten in front of his eyes.

The friend of my friend burst out (because she had LIVED in Australia and knew everything there was to know about the country..) “there are no crocs/alligators where you lived!”.

This surprised me considerably considering I was out canoeing with friends whilst there and saw something leathery with big teeth lying by the shore. It looked very much like an alligator or perhaps a croc – whatever the difference is.

What more is – the newspaper wrote about the incident about the poor, nutty woman who got chewed on in front of her husband’s eyes. I think I need to find the article and forward it to her. Just to prove my point. Because I do not like being doubted. Not at all.