Thursday, November 25, 2010

development in progress

Will there ever be a time when I will get enough and settle?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what I have and things I've done. It's not that. It's that constant feeling of wanting to thrive, develop and move on.

I have studied - one bachelor's and one master's degree. I thought that'd be enough. I thought it'd be ok to do the odd evening course for fun to keep the old brain going. But lately I have wondered about doing a phD. For no other reason than wanting to. I have no urge of becoming a doctor, working as a professor or certainly not spending the rest of my days in a university setting. But I want to germinate.

I have travelled. Thought I'd gotten that out of my system after 10 years of continent hopping. But now I'm itching. Thinking about those places I've yet to see. Places where you need to spend a month or two to get to know properly. And I've dusted off those lonely planet's guide to Ethiopia that I never got to use. Because I want to do more. See more.

I like my job. But feel I have so much more to give. I have knowledge which I'd love to share with other, new people, and I would like to meet new people to learn new things from too.

I love my flat. However I keep thinking of buying something new, so that I could learn more about renovating and decorating. Because I want to develope and not become stagnant.

Some people say I have a midlife crisis. But boy, this "crisis" has been going on for a good 20 years and shows no signs of slowing down. Wonder if there's some kind of medication to cure my curiosity?