Sunday, June 28, 2009

the encounter

Yesterday, whilst waiting for the tube, I noticed a posh-looking woman eyeing me up and down.

She was properly dressed, in a French/Navy kind of way. I couldn't help but smile at her when I caught her looking at me for about the third time. She took her headphones off and walked towards me.

My head was racing - did I know this woman? Did she know me? Why had she been looking at me so much?

"I don't mean to offend you" her opening line was, whereas I instantly thought she was going to insult me, or telling me off for something or another.

"I just love your dress!" she continued. "I do apologize for being so forward, but I just have to ask you where you've bought it".

I laughed and told her where the dress was from, then also told her I don't usually get offended for getting a compliment from a stranger - quite the contrary! I thanked her, she thanked me and off she went again.

Now I've googled around to show you guys a picture of the damn dress without any luck. But I can assure you it is not a smartlooking dress! It's a navy blue tunic-like dress with big, bulky embroidery on in bright colours.

Strange, but nice little encounter.