Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Opposites attracts

I had a revelation yesterday. I was looking at some old photos and saw this guy I met during a trip abroad. I remembered fancying him like crazy. Looking at the photo, 7 years later, I noticed that he in fact was a spitting image of an ex-boyfriend that I dated 15 years ago! Talk about projection!?

Then I had to check out pictures of other loves and crushes. All in all, there have been 2 types of men:
The handsome, sporty surfer-type
The gentle, curly headed hippie

Now how is this? Am I so vain I only go for looks? Surely not as I have known the men for quite some time before falling in love with them and started dating… Of course it matters that in surfy places there are lots of surfers and lots of hippies in general, but why is it that I’ve never been attracted to a blue-eyed Swede, for example?

I can honestly say that I value personality in a person more than anything else – but at the same time: show me a hippie man with an afro and I’ll admit you’ll have me drooling like a teenager. I really wonder why that is. Are we pre-programmed? Is it destiny or fascination? Or is it in fact so that I’m holding on to a dream-version of something that was in the past?

Whatever it is it amazes me. And one day when I’m old I’ll scan all those photos and put them up next to each other and laugh at my own narrow-mindedness when it came to the opposite sex.