Tuesday, September 29, 2009

music - a question for you

Music truely is the essence of my life. Nothing can trigger emotions in me like a good tune. I have an extremely broad taste in music that includes a lot of genres.

I love classical music, with a special fetish for Baroque music. Mozart also has a special place in my heart. I have a thing for good old eighties tunes, not to mention seventies and sixties songs. Folk music is fab, as is world music (especially from northern Africa). But jazz - aaaahhh... Jazz. How I love it. More than anything else. In all shapes and forms, from all eras. I truely love it.

Sometimes I walk around at home or at work, and a song springs to mind. Just like that. Pops up in my head and says "Hi, I haven't been sung for a good 15 years or so. Sing me!"
And so I start singing a melody. It may be that hymn that I sang in the church choir when I was 7, or one of the Rat Pack duetts. They are all in there - all the lyrics and tones etched inside my head.

Today at work Richard Marx's song "Heaven only knows" popped up:


I watch the world go round and round
And my life goes by at the speed of sound
I walk the night and I wonder just where I belong.
My heart is young, but my soul is old
I've never been one to do what I was told
My back to the wall
Is the only place I can feel strong.


I remember sitting in my girlie room in my parents home singing that tune over and over again whilst playing my vinyl LP, feeling just like that. Teenage confusion and frustration...

Another tune, that still makes me cry with emotions is this one. I listen to this and I can still vividly remember the smell of my room in Claremont Avenue, Jersey; Channel 103's Late Night Love Machine playing on the radio whilst the tennant in the room above mine was watching some late night tv show. Aaahh, this song brings it all back to life:


Do you have a special song that brings back certain memories for you?