Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Nobel Prize and Gala



Tonight the grand gala with the Swedish Royal family takes place in the city hall, in honour of the Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel. The Nobel Prizes were handed out earlier this week, and tonight, at the gala, the prize takers will hold their speaches and then celebrate with their families who are also invited to the gala.

Three years ago I had the privilege to be invited to the Nobel Gala. I was an extremely broke student at the time, and I paniced over what to wear (or, more literally, how to afford anything suitable to wear).



on my way in to the City Hall




I bought an expensive pair of shoes. A girl needs shoes, you know. I asked a hairdressing student for advise what to do with my hair, and then sewed some "diamond beeds" into my home made hair do.





I bought an ugly dress in a tacky, horrid shop for £10 (100.-), took it home and unstitched it all and resewed it with curtain embroidery. Gloves and handbag I had from a previous ball, and I used my winter scarf as a shawl.

The guy who invited me was a neighbour who was some kind of key person at my university at the time.


As for bling bling I bought a "diamond" necklace in yet another tacky shop for £3 (30.-) and matching earrings for even less.


The Nobel Prize winner in physics, dr. Autmann, was amazingly fun on the dance floor - esecially after 12 o'clock when no cameras are allowed any more... He partied and danced with everyone and anyone and was so lovely!



5 o'clock in the morning it was time to go home. I had danced so much my feet were blistered (and that's even though I danced barefooted from midnight!), my hair do fallen out - and talking about falling out I'd fallen out with the guy who invited me around 11 pm... And from 11 pm I had the time of my life!