Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Horrible Post Title #063885: Owl or Nothing

A quick note about the posting schedule for the rest of the year... the second sketch for this week (normally scheduled for Friday) will go up on Wednesday December 24th. Friday, instead, will see a bonus post featuring something that's a tiny bit different from my usual fare.

Next week, however the second sketch will go up a day early, in the wee hours of New Year's Day (Thursday), as has become a tradition here.

I'm sure you're all terribly enthralled by the ins and outs of my post scheduling. Here's today's subject, She-Ra's ally Kowl, in both cartoon and toy forms:



As is my custom, I repurposed the significantly differently-colored toy version into a new character. Corujito, as best as I can figure, means "little owl" in Portuguese, which is how one of the international releases of Kowl was named (using my Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction, I'm going to guess it was the Portuguese and/or Brazilian version). I decided to spell it Korujito, just to give the name a bit more of a connection with Kowl. Korujito's gem and title derive from the play feature of the toy, which I guess was some kind of color-changing gem that 'answered your questions' with different colors--I suspect it was a mood ring-like decal, like the old faction sigils on Transformers. But I digress.

* * *

PROFILE: Kowl's young nephew, KORUJITO, is a "chosen one" of their people. He was born with the ability to divine possible futures through the Oracular Gem, an artifact used by seers and oracles throughout the history of Etheria. Korujito is but a child, however he is wise and serene beyond his years.

HISTORY: Korujito is part of an emerging group of young heroes who have become protectors of Etheria while She-Ra is posted in Eternia. The rulers united under the Rebellion consult Korujito's clairvoyant powers when they are faced with grave decisions, and his serene counsel has been invaluable to the stoic and conflicted protector of Etheria, Starburst. Korujito is a frequent companion of the impulsive Princess Sorciela, and Kowl seems to spend an inordinate amount of time keeping the two of them out of trouble.


* * *

Kowl is also posted on the He-Man.org fan-art forums. My post is here, the entire thread (including some of my previous sketches) is here.

And Korujito is also posted here on my variants thread