Wednesday, November 5, 2008

a TRUE nightmare

Yesterday my bed arrived. It took me forever and a day to get the frame together and the super-massive-humongous matress inside the frame too...

... Then I had a quick bath and went into town to meet my friend. We went for a bite to eat and then to see a play. The play was good but 4 hours long!!! All I could think of was my new bed and how wonderful it would be to get home to it.

Once back home I realized that the front door 4 digit code had stopped working for the night, as it was past 11 pm. I got my keys out. But the key didn't fit! I soon realized I had taken the wrong key with me and hence not able to get into the building and up to my flat.

I got my phone out to phone my brother, who has a spare key. But my phone was dead.

I sat down on the doorstep and waited. Surely, in a house with some 30 flats, someone was bound to come in/take the dog out for an evening walk?

No. After an hour I gave up. Went in search of a police car or security guards, and found the latter. A helpful one who let me use his mobile. I phoned my brother's home no. No answer. I couldn't remember his mobile number, so I headed back to the house and waited for something to happen.

Nothing did happen. I began to get really cold. By now it was nearly 1 am. My feet were aching (I was wearing high heels). And then I remembered the train station - surely the staff in there would let me use their phone and phone book?

No staff were in the station, but I spotted a phone box which accepted credit cards (as I had no cash on me what so ever as per usual). I entered my VISA card in the slot only to see "sorry, the service is unvailable at the moment" on the phone display.

I began to cry. I was so tired, longed for my new bed and my cats, and seemed to be spending the night in the open air with aching feet. And then this guard appeared to lock the station for the night. He saw me crying. He lent me his mobile phone and together we managed to get hold of my brother's mobile. And my brother answered!!!

But busses had stopped running for the night and there were no taxis in sight. I began to walk, thinking I might as well walk to my brother's house (which would probably take me a good hour or so) as I had no better options anyhow.

And then it appeared. A taxi! I waved like I've never waved before. And he stopped.

At my brother's I was given a fag and a glass of wine whilst Po and his girlfriend Janna made up a spare bed on their livingroom floor for me. They were wonderful. Truely wonderful, and at 3 am I was finally able to go to sleep.

I got up in the crack of dawn and got a bus home. The 4 digit code let me in to my house, and at 8.30 am I was in my new bed with my new sheets with my two beautiful cats on my chest and stomach. And there we fell asleep for a few hours.

And I have to say it is a comfy bed I've bought. Very comfy indeed. Just wish I'd been able to spend the whole night in it.