Saturday, November 22, 2008

new glasses

The other day I broke my glasses in two. Just like that. I didn't get too upset as I've been thinking about getting a new pair anyway, but all of a sudden I HAD to go to the opticians.

I went into the practice today to book an appointment. The woman at the till told me the opticians had drop in on Saturdays and asked if I wanted to come back in 15 minutes for an eye examination, which I did.

The optician asked a few questions, and I told her I had problems focusing sometimes. She asked more questions. She put loads of things in front of my eyes and asked more questions.

Then she said "I've only read about this, but never actually seen a case of this before. You have a very rare type of hidden squint".

Turns out one of my eyes go slightly up when I read/write (whereas squinting usually is one eye going towards a corner of the eye).

So thank God the glasses broke and I ended up getting a drop in appointment with this very optician. Because this hidden squint is the appearantly the cause of my many headaches, my tiredness when working in front of the computer etc. There was a meaning with me breaking my glasses in two after all!