Sunday, November 30, 2008

a simple party invite

The phone just rang. My father, giggling and sounding very excited with a quick hello followed by a "guess what I recieved in the post on Friday?!" was on the other end.

I didn't attempt guessing as I knew he would tell me sooner than I'd have time to say anything.

"Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! The Andersson family would like to invite you to a pre-Christmas get together on the 7th of December. RSVP" he read out loud, giggling aloud.

"Sounds lovely" I said. "What a nice idea!"

"Nice?!" he hissed. "Sounds like they think they are the bloody Royal family! If they want me to come around for a cup of coffee they could quite easily have phoned me!"

I said I thought it was nice of the family to send out an combined invite/christmas card and make it a little extra special. It's the kind of thing I like to do too!

"Yeah, I bet you'd like to go to see if there was any gossip there, wouldn't you? Nose around a bit, eh?!" He continued - being his usual charming and loving self.

I told him it must be horrible being so suspicious, cynical and negative of everything, then explained I had lots to do and finished the phonecall.

Yep, good people, yet another anti-energy-kick from my father. Now I'm in a vile mood and hate myself for answering the phone.