Saturday, July 19, 2008

mixed feelings

I am looking after my sister's farm this weekend. It is one of the most wonderful places I know, this farm.

The chickens are running around free during the day, and at dinner time they take themselves back to their little hut where you then lock them in over night.

The horses have a huge pen linked to the stable, so they go in and out as they please. The farm itself is beautiful. It's so peaceful here.

I arrived last night. Fia's mum (yes, we're not biological sisters!) was here and we had a cup of tea and she showed me what I needed to do during my stay here. Then she left to go home and I unpacked my bag, got my book out and went to bed.

But somthing was wrong. I had a funny feeling in my stomach and just couldn't go to sleep. The cats were missing. I missed them. I missed having a cat on my chest and another one behind my knees. I was sure they missed me too. Oh, the guilt!!!

This morning I got up early to feed the chicken and let them out. Then I fed the horses before heading indoors to have a nap (as you know Im not a morning person at all). I woke up all sweaty - had the most horrible dream about the cats being injured. I felt like a traitor leaving them behind!

Then my brother phoned. Told me he and his girlfriend were at mine cuddling and playing with the cats having a most wonderful time together. Two hours later he phoned to say that Kif were asleep in his girlfriends lap and Tylor (who I'm renamning to Sailor, but that's a different story all together) were sitting on my brother's shoulder giving him lots of hugs and kisses.

I KNOW they are fine. But I'm not. As much as I love bing here on the farm.