Monday, April 5, 2010

she knew I knew

You know those times something sticks with you - lingers in your head long after it's happened? Something stuck with me today and I can't seem to shake it off:

I was walking around Coop today, buying some groceries. It was really empty in the shop which made me kind of aware of the other people in the shop. You know - noone in a hurry, everybody making eye contact with one another and smiling a little. Very nice indeed.

And then a couple came walking. He first, pushing a pram. She a little behind, carrying the baby in her arms. He made eye contact but didn't smile. On the contrary his eyes were ice cold as to say "don't you dare look at me. Mind your own buissness.". She avoided my eyes. Looked down into the floor. Looked petrified, as a matter of fact. She clinged on to that baby in her arms like she was scared someone would steal it.

Her one eye was swollen. Bruised black and blue. And I knew. I knew. And she knew I knew. But I didn't do anything as I had no idea of what on earth I could've said to make it better. So instead I walked on. Turned around once to see if she would do the same. But she just walked behind the man with her head facing the floor.