Wednesday, December 16, 2009

to queue or not to queue?

I was back at the doctor's today. I went up to the receptionist to inform her that I had arrived for the appointment. There was noone else in the waitingroom, so I ignored the sign "please take a number and wait for your turn". I informed the receptionist about this as she pressed the little button and shouted "next!".

As soon as I had done so, two women arrived at the reception. They took a queue number, and so one of the women got the number I should've had (had I taken a number), and said on the display.

The woman got very upset and said loud and clearly "well, I don't know what is going on here. My number is on the display but there is a girl standing there already!?"

As it was obvious she said it to let me know she was pissed off at me, I turned around, looked sternly into her eyes and explained that I hadn't taken a queue number as there was in fact no queue when I arrived. She just couldn't let it go and continued "but there is a queue system here. And it clearly states on the sign that we should take a number!" And then she gave me the filthiest look I've seen in a long time.

The cheek! I asked her if she was so anal about everything in her life and if she stood in line for the toilet even if it wasn't occupied, and she looked away pretending not to notice me.

I turned back to the receptionist and said "right, as we were talking about before we got interupted..." She gave me the biggest smile and winked, wished me a very merry Christmas. I guess she gets to put up with shit like that every day and has to put up with it too. Well, I didn't, and I'm glad I put that grumpy cow in place!