Tuesday, December 22, 2009

famous people

I've never been one to read gossip magazines or know who's who in the famous circle of people.


Once, when a friend's mum told me something about someone apearantly famous, I asked her who it was and what she was famous for. My friend's mom looked horrified and asked me "Don't you know who Farrah Fawcett (or whoever she was talking about) is?!" I shook my head and said "I'm pretty sure Farrah Fawcett doesn't know who I am either?"


See, I don't get it. Why is someone famous more interesting than our next door neighbours?


Once, I went into my friend's coffee shop and ordered a coffee. The place was mobbed and I couldn't find anywhere to sit, but then spotted an empty chair next to an old man. I asked him if the place was taken. It wasn't and so I sat down.


No sooner than I had done so as I noticed all eyes were on me. I asked the old man why everyone was staring, and could he please tell me if I had a bogey hanging out from my nose or something else that was getting everyones attention.


The man laughed and said "Don't worry, they're not staring at you. It's me they're looking at!"
"Why? Are you famous or something?" I asked him, half joking. " Kind of..." he replied, and then we went on talking about my new tattoo and the weather. He was lovely and asked me lots of questions about my life and why I was living abroad. Then some woman turned up, and he excused himself and left with the woman.


The following day my friend (who owned the coffee shop) came up to me and said "you've got some balls! Sitting next to John Cleese and chatting away!"


And, well, I do know who John Cleese is. I just didn't recognise him...