Saturday, November 7, 2009

existence at an early age

(Sorry, you English speaking folks about the latest blog posts. I just couldn't be bothered to translate those recipes.)

Do you remember when you were a kid and started to think about your existence?

I went through a phase where I wondered about what was before and after life. Finally I came to the conclusion that my life was in someones balloon. The air that was blown into that balloon was the air I had to consume in my lifetime.And when that girl's balloon popped my life would end. Therefor, everytime I had a balloon myself, I made sure to take care of it and fill it with as much air as possible so that the person living inside my balloon would get a long and healthy life.

With this "insight" I made up imaginary pictures of how the world would look if you were God looking down on our earth which where layers and layers of red balloons. I used to think it must be a wonderful sight.

A friend of mine told me recently that she went through a stage as a child when she wondered how she ended up in her body. Why it was just THAT body with THOSE thoughts inside, and to top it off HER soul that held it all together? Fantastic, if you ask me.

My dad used to have long discussions with his father about where the universe ended. If it really didn't end - then could anything end really? My grandad used to answer my dad with further questions (being the amazing, fantastic man he was, my grandad) and so they would sit discussing life and the universe.

I love the fact that children have these deep, existencial thoughts. It's sad that they often are simplified and ridiculed by adults instead of taken seriously. Can you imagine the amazing conversations they could lead to if adults just gave children a fair chance?

Do you remember something that you thought alot about when you were a child?