Sunday, May 30, 2010

my friend

My friend Lizzie and her baby came to stay with me for a week. Lizzie and I have known each other for about 15 years, and is by far one of my best friends who knows me inside out.

We used to work toghether for a few years. The management used to call us Piff and Puff. We were never put to work in the same unit, which was probably for the best, as we infamous for chain smoking, drinking loads of cups of tea and talk when together.
Lizzie, Paula and I back in the days

But as time went on I decided to move to Australia. Then Sweden. And so the last time we saw each other was three years ago at Lizzie's wedding. And since those three years loads of things have happened. The biggest of changes must be Lizzie having a little daughter called Macy Mabel - that I hadn't had a chance to meet until last week!

But isn't it weird? Three years have passed, Lizzie is now a mum, we live different lives in different countries, and yet it felt like we've never been apart. We have drank loads of tea (and wine, I will admit), chainsmoked and talked. We have chilled in front of the telly, gone shopping (even though that's something we used to be much better at years ago!), cooked and eaten loads of nice food and just enjoyed each others company. Yes, there have been more nursery rhymes sang, more baby food talk and earlier mornings than in years before, but apart from that nothing seems to have changed.

Myself, Lizzie and little Macy last week.

And so now they have left, and I'm sat in my flat all alone missing her like crazy. Wishing she lived next doors and not an ocean apart. It's times like these I wonder why I ever left...