Wednesday, February 24, 2010

silence

My great uncle once did research on "silence". I remember sitting next to him at church at a relative's wedding, when he asked me to observe if there was ever any silence during our church visit. I never heard any silence... Not that you can hear silence as it is, well, silent...

I don't know whatever happened to my uncles research, and quite frankly I'm not that interested either. However, I sometimes remember his question and listen. Is there ever a time when I hear nothing?

Tonight as I was walking home from work I was amazed on how quiet it was. No busses or cars on the roads (probably due to the horrible snow chaos we've had the last few days). I met noone on my walk and the silence was wonderful. The only thing I heard was the sound from my boots crunching the snow from the weight of my body. So there was no silence after all, but it sure was a beautiful sound.