Monday, February 8, 2010

Sense&Style Feb Issue Review

Yesterday, I bought my first Sense&Style magazine for the main reason that Rachelle's on the cover. I know...I'm a fan.LOL. She was my schoolmate(high school) way back then. Anyway, reading the mag disappoints me. Coming from one of the biggest publications here in the Philippines, I was disappointed to see how the type were not properly spaced out and the poor layouting of the photos and copies. The cover itself doesn't work for me. Shin's (Rachelle) arm is a bit off. She could've bend it a little bit to soften more the look. Her toes were cut. The black and white font plus the font style need to be soften considering it's their 'love' issue.In typography, rivers, or rivers of white, are visually unattractive gaps appearing to run down a paragraph of text, due to an accidental alignment of spaces. - wikipedia
That overlaying photo of 'vanilla ice cream plus brownies' killed the other photo showcasing the resto's ambiance.The uneven bold typefaces on this page looks like more of a directory to me.The photo(above) looks messy to me.If they are trying to showcase different lipsticks, why not show them worn by some model, not some stain left on tissue papers. I mean, it would be much appreciated when they're on an actual human being. Though the concept is somehow good. Wish they had a model plus these stuff on the side.Seriously, what's with the dead color scheme plus the gradient?

I think Sense&Style needs to define exactly what type of woman they are trying to target. Because browsing the magazine, the ideas look scattered. The layout to me appears to be masculine. too stiff. the styling is a bit off too. The 'duel' editorial needs to be clean(unfocused photos plus unwanted elements on the side). Some of the features need not to be focused much and have their own page, instead they should use these spaces for more advertisers. And by advertisers, I mean those fit for their market.I know it's not their fault that some institutions(such as this) place ads on them but what I'm saying is they should learn how to attract other advertisers fit for their market(like some fashion labels, health and beauty stuff, etc.)

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE MAG IS NOT A GOOD BUY. IT HAS A LOT OF 'SENSE' IN IT BUT IT HAS TO HAVE MORE 'STYLE.'