Wednesday, March 11, 2009

being an adult

When I was a kid I thought there was only one way of living as an adult. Because all adults I knew were pretty much the same, and my frame of reference never let me see alternative paths for grown ups.

Today I got up at 07.15 am. Made myself some tea and sat down and read the paper. All of a sudden I thought "how adult!"

However, after the electrician came and went around 8.30 am, I went back to sleep on the settee in front of MTV. Not so adult perhaps?

All the things I thought came with adult life I do not have. Not anymore, ironically enough:

a car
a husband
a house
children
a hobby such as knitting
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I used to have a car (I have had three actually) but as I do not hold a Swedish driver's license there isn't much point here in Sweden.

I used to have a husband, ha ha! Not really, but pretty damn close. And boy am I glad I didn't follow that crazy thought through!

I used to have a house. And that I do miss, I will admit. It was lovely, but needless to say that house was in Jersey and any form of living is lovely in Jersey.

I used to want children. I don't any more. I like my egocentric lifestyle far too much. Plus, of course, I've noticed cats are just like babies. Only with cats, you can leave them unattended for longer periods of time, which gives you a social life none the less.

I never used to knit, nor do I have an urge to start.

My friend told me today his son is turning 18 next month. Which, undoubtably, means me and my friends are adults (in one way or another) these days. So I keep wondering if I need to start acting accordingly? Get up in the mornings? Make lunch boxes? Plan my week and go grocery shopping at the weekend? Stop wearing clothes from teenage shops?

Or is it OK to live outside the box? Because I like it. I like it alot just the way it is.