Saturday, October 24, 2009

vet nightmare

Yesterday we went to the vets, the cats and I. And lovely Katarina, who drove us there. Katarina tried to distract me in the car, talking about this and that. I was so nervous I could barely answer.

Why? Well, I have for ever thought Tylor to be a tad too thin, and sometimes he pukes up the food. I have googled, I have asked the breeder and observed. Nothing seems to be wrong... Well, apart from the obvious fact that he pukes and is skinny.

So I bit the bullet and decided to let the vet have a look at him. At the same time both cats were going to get a flu jab, which I had forgotten the last time we were doing injections. The night before I dreamt that the vet told me nothing was wrong with Tylor, and then he was sent home with a delivery guy. When the delivery guy turned up at my door the cage was empty. I asked where Tylor was, and got the answer that he'd died just after leaving the vet's practise.I woke up crying and thinking "I never even got the chance to say goodbye!"

So by the time Katarina turned up to drive us I had gotten myself in a real state, thinking Tylor could be dying and that I wouldn't be allowed to bring him home again.

At the vets Kif and Tylor jumped out of their cage and started looking around the room. Kif immediately allocated a bowl full of treats for dogs, which he happily started eating before the nurse took the bowl away. Tylor jumped up on the vet's shoulder and puuuurrrrrrrred.

I explained why we were there. The vet looked at me and said "Tylor is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. It's Kif who's a real fattie!" I insisted there was something wrong with Tylor: "maybe his teeth are bad? Or he suffers from a stomach ulcer?" She laughed, said that I could try and change the food if I really wanted to do something, but that he was, in fact a very handsome, calm and healthy cat. One of the nicest ones she'd seen, in fact.

Words cannot explain the joy I felt. And the proudness!

Kif, meanwhile had again found the bowl with dog food, which he happily ate to his heart's content. The vet looked at him, gave him a little cuddle and said "you're beautiful too. Just not as beautiful as your brother. But you are lovely. And completely nuts from the look of things".

Well, tell me something I didn't already know, eh?