Friday, May 11, 2007

Fishy!!!

A while back, I was IMing with Charles, and he suggested that I draw a mystical fish. I recalled this whilst trying to think of a simple subject for a vector sketch, and so:



Sketched loosely in Photoshop, and inked and colored in Illustrator. After my previous attempt at vector illustration, I decided to make things simpler and more stylized. Though I think in this case, I went a little too simple. Ah well, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I shaded this guy using some techniques that I have observed in the better executed vector illustrations of others. As far as the colors go, I'm basically satisfied, though I wasn't quite sure what to do with the gills (and I think it shows) and the eyeballs lack the illusion of depth that I was going for.

More vector stuff to come. By the way, in case you didn't know, that thing on his head is an ankh.

Post Script: Charles said he was going to write a profile for this little guy, but he's been having some computer troubles, so there's gonna be a little delay on that. I will post an update when he can get around to it!

**EDIT**
Well thankfully, Charles got his computer in order, and he posted the mystical fish's extensive background story, entitled "The Children of the Gods"!
Go read it! Go!