Monday, March 12, 2007

Hobo By J.Ho

Posted early while I'm at work, because my DSL is down at home...

Character of the week, for Rick's character design blog--a hobo:


click above for larger view

I definitely took a different approach this time--this one was completely digital. I just started sketching in Photoshop, without knowing where I was going to end up. I refined the line art for the hobo in a separate layer and started shading the hobo and rendering the background in the original layer. For the final touches, I used a half-tone filter on the shading/background layer, adjusted the hue/saturation on the whole thing to get a sort-of sepia color, and then dropped in my signature and URL in an old-timey font.

There are some bad tangents and clutter where the hobo's upper lip eclipses part of his left hand... I need to be more aware of that kind of stuff in the early stages of sketching, because by the time I noticed it, I was too lazy to go back and re-do that whole section of the drawing.

Not a style that I'll be going with all the time, but this was quick and fun. It's good to mix it up so I don't feel like my stuff is getting stale.